1) Comments that raise questions, clarify content, constitute serious rebuttals, and promote discussion are welcomed and encouraged but will be moderated. This may delay even posts that are not contentious. Moderation of comments may include but are not necessarily limited to blocking comment post, removal of offending material, or editing for spelling or grammar, at the sole discretion of the moderator.
2) Comments are the views of the poster only. They do not reflect the views of the moderator, the author of the original post, the American Meteorological Society, its members, funding entities, or staff.
3) Comments must be germane to the post. Comments that contain links to inappropriate, irrelevant or commercial sites may be deleted.
4) Disparaging or inflammatory comments will not be tolerated. Flames, profanity, ad hominen comments, or you said/he said type arguments maybe removed or edited. This includes comments that (explicitly or implicitly) impugn the motives of others, or which otherwise seek to personalize matters under discussion.
5) Moderation of comments may include screening out comments that (a) simply repeat points in existing comments, (b) make claims that have already been validly refuted by us or others on the site, or (c) confuse the debate by introducing erroneous, specious, or otherwise misleading assertions.
6) All comments are assumed to be released into the public domain. You do not retain copyright. Comments which explicitly assert they retain copyright will be deleted.
7) We reserve the right to respond to comments in-line but will attempt to clearly distinguish the response from the comment.
8.) We reserve the right to reject or edit comments that do not meet the above criteria.
9) Comments will close after a month, or earlier at the sole discretion of the moderator. Reasons may include that the comments have grown increasingly off topic, or the numbers of comments has become exceedingly large.
10) Repeat offenders of the comment policy (in particular, individuals demonstrating a pattern of â€œtrollingâ€) may be barred from future access to the blog.
*This comment policy is based on and adapted from realclimate.org